Our human body naturally has sugar or glucose in the bloodstream. The accurate amounts of sugar in the bloodstream are very important for proper health. The blood sugar provides the human body cells and organs with much-needed energy. To maintain the blood sugar levels within a standard range our body needs insulin – a hormone that directs the body cells to absorb excess glucose and store it.
What is Hyperglycemia?
If there isn’t enough insulin in the body or insulin doesn’t work properly, the blood glucose level goes up. High blood sugar levels known as hyperglycemia is a matter of concern for many people. There are two main kinds:
- Fasting hyperglycemia: In fasting hyperglycemia, the blood glucose level goes higher than 130 milligrams per deciliter when you don’t eat or drink for more than 8 hours.
- Postprandial/after-meal hyperglycemia: In postprandial hyperglycemia, the blood glucose level goes higher than 180 milligrams per deciliter within two hours of eating.
We’ll answer all your queries about what to do when blood glucose is high. A lot of people panic in such a situation. However, in this article, we’ll guide you on what to do when blood glucose is high.
Symptoms of High Blood Sugar in Non-Diabetics:
- Frequent headaches
- You often feel thirsty
- Blurry vision
- Loss of concentration
- Drop in the bodyweight
- Recurring peeing
- Pain in the abdomen
- Frequent nausea and vomiting
What to Do When Blood Sugar Is High?
If you’re wondering what to do when blood sugar is high then, you’ve come to the right place. Here, I’ll tell you some basic steps that will tell you how to lower high blood glucose:
- Stay hydrated: the more water you drink, the more sugar will be removed from your blood through urine.
- Exercise is essential: seek advice from your doctor to know which kind of exercise is the best for you.
- Change your diet: consult a dietitian to give you a new diet chart. Cut off sugar and carbs.
- Medications: your doctor might recommend you some medicines that can help you.
- Green tea: it’s said that drinking green tea along with the intake of other herbs can control blood sugar levels.
Hyperglycemia is very harmful and can induce several negative effects on people with diabetes. We hope this article was helpful for all those suffering from hyperglycemia.