Dogs have been the most beloved pets across the globe for years and years. Once you have had a pet dog for long enough, it becomes an integral part of the family. The love takes over and you go from being a pet owner to a pet parent. And that’s what makes it extremely difficult to see your beloved pet in pain due to illness or old age. In times of agony, euthanasia seems like the best way to free your dog from their misery. So if you have been wondering how to euthanize a dog with Tylenol PM, this tiny guide has all the information you need.
Why Tylenol PM?
Tylenol PM is a combination of two different classes of drugs. One is acetaminophen which is a very efficient pain reliever. And the other one is diphenhydramine, a type of antihistamine which triggers drowsiness. Tylenol for dogs has been proven to be unsafe depending on the dose administered.
The recommended dose of Tylenol PM to achieve euthanasia is 5-6 tablets. However, the dosage can vary based on the weight of the dog. The best way to ensure painless and quick death of the dog is to inject the medication intramuscularly.
How to Euthanize a Dog with Tylenol PM?
Considering that you have explored all your options and finally decided to euthanize your dog, here is a step by step guide to get you through this.
- First things first, it is necessary to have a brief conversation about this with a veterinarian.
- The vet will prescribe you the appropriate dosage of the medication according to the weight of your dog. This is an important step because a wrong dose can potentially exacerbate your pet’s pain.
- Make sure that your pet feels safe and relaxed. Then feed the dog its last meal or sip of water if it is eating at all.
- Then, as per the instructions of the vet, inject the medication carefully.
- Monitor your dog closely until it takes it loses its last breath. The dog might have an episode or two of urination or stool discharge.
Decisions involving death can never be made easy but more often than not, they need to be made. If only dogs could live as long as humans. Hopefully, this guide on how to euthanize a dog with Tylenol PM will come handy when it’s time for our dog to say goodbye.